Welcome to Adams United Methodist Church!
Friday, July 19, 2019

History of the Church

Research indicates the people called Methodist were active in what is now Robertson County as early as 1786 when circuit riders began visiting the then frontier section of our nation.

Among early circuit riders were such persons as Benjamin Ogden, Francis Poythress, Jacob Lurton, Henry Birches, Thomas Wilkerson and Jess Walker.

About 1800 a church was organized and named Polk’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church.  Subsequently a meeting house was erected on land now owned by John M. Goodman and located approximately four miles south of the present town of Adams.

In 1802 the Red River Circuit of the Cumberland District was organized and included portions of what is now Logan County, Kentucky and Robertson, Montgomery, Dickson, and Stewart Counties of Tennessee.

As a part of the Red River Circuit the Polk’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church became affiliated withe the Tennessee Methodist Episcopal Conference at it’s inception in 1812.  At a later date it was a part of the Kentucky Conference for some years, but was placed again in the Tennessee Conference about 1833 where our church has since remained, presently being part of the Clarksville District. 

In 1844 U.S. Methodism divided into Northern and Southern General Conferences with Polk’s Chapel becoming part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

The building of a railroad from Guthrie, Kentucky to Edgefield (East Nashville), Tennessee immediately prior to the Civil War resulted  in the development of the town of Adams (named for a pioneer family of the area) along the railroad.

Apparently there was early interest in the prospect of moving our church to the growing town of Adams.  However, disruptions caused by the Civil War and hard times presented such action until 1870 when a building in the town of Adams was completed and the congregation began holding worship services in the Adams Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

The basic building served the congregation well until 1970.  In 1929 a large section was added to the building for use as church school rooms.  In 1951 the church building was completely renovated and redecorated.

On the circuit with the Sadlersville Methodist Episcopal Church, South for many years, the Adams Church began to be full time in 1953 and on September 1, 1956 it came off the circuit to become a station church (a church that is not on a circuit).

Until 1907 the pastor of the Adams-Sadlersville Circuit lived in the Sadlersville’s parsonage and travelled to Adams to preach two times a month.  In that year the Adams Church purchased from the Winter’s family and erected a parsonage into which the Rev. J.S. Rice moved.  This house is still standing to this day.

Another parsonage located closer to the church building.  The old parsonage was sold and a house belonging to W.L. Robertson was purchased in 1919.  This building  was the former Adams School and is presently the Red River Baptist Church Annex.

In 1956 the Adams Church unto construction a new brick parsonage located more conveniently in the center of the community.  This was first lived in by the Rev. W.W. Johnson.  All debts for the parsonage were paid and dedication services were held in the Spring of 1961.

A new parsonage was built next to the newer church building on Highway 41N in the 1980’s.

A new Church building was built and dedicated in 1970.  The church currently uses this building for worship, learning and fellowship.

We are like the writer to Epistle to the Hebrews “Surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses”.  Those who have gone before us to see that the Gospel of Christ and the call to Holiness continued in Adams, TN.  We thank God for all those who went before us to see that the current congregation could be blessed in a wonderful facility where God can be worshipped.  Their faithfulness to Christ, is an inspiration that leads us to carry out their vision of what God was calling them and us to was carry on the work of Christ to the world around us, and beyond!

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.     Hebrews 12:1-3

Like them we can say as Paul and those who have gone before us

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.    Philippians 3:14